20. November 2012

DIY Tube Bead Bracelet

On my birthday last month, my grandma gave me a set of those thin metal bracelets (see picture below). I have to admit that I never really liked these bracelets because they're too thin to be worn alone (and with a set of ten you could as well give the other nine away) and they tend to be quite noisy when worn in a bunch. So I took two of the bracelets and used them to make something I liked much better: A super simple bracelet using tube beads. Enjoy!
[1] For this bracelet you'll need: Nylon beading cord, 0.01 inch in diameter (should fit at least 4 times through the beads you use). A bunch of 0.8 inch tube beads (also found as bugle beads) in the colors you prefer. If you're lucky as I was you find a set of leftover beads in a perfect set of colors for a very low price. You also need two simple metal bracelets and scissors.
[2] First, cut the beading cord to the desired length, depending on how much of the circumference of the bracelet you want to cover. For the one I made take 5.3 feet. Take the first tube bead and place it in the middle of the cord. Now take the first metal ring bracelet and place it on the right side next to your bead like in the picture. Then, take the the cord on the same side and move it over the ring, around, under the ring and through the bead. This should look like in the picture.
[3] Take the other metal ring and do the same on the other side of the bead (over ring, around ring, under ring, through bead). Do it again for both sides for more stability. The bead should now stay in place without any much help.
[4] Take the second bead and place it between the metal rings. Fasten it in the same way as the first one. But once for both sides of the cord is enough this time. Remember: over, around, under, through. This is important. Your bead will be loose and not centered between the rings otherwise.
[5] Continue until you reach the desired length. Push the cord through the bead some more times, cut the ends leaving about half of the beads length and push it inside the bead.

The bracelet is surprisingly sturdy in the end. I like how the beading cord is almost invisible and how the bracelet looks so much better now. Fashionable and colorful and doesn't even look self made! Have fun making your own!

7 COMMENTS

  1. These are really cute! And sooo simple. I think I'll have to make a few of these. :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Antworten
    1. Hi Sarah, I got the beads at a local craft store here in Berlin. They had beads in every color and shape and I picked a box with leftover tube beads in those lovely colors. They are also known as bugle beads. I found beautiful ones on Etsy too!

      Löschen
  3. Wow! Gorgeous creation! Thanks for Sharing Kathie

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Ooh! Gorgeousness!!! i really love this colorful bracelet! perfect accessory for your formal dress:)

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. beautiful, great idea to try for a beadwork beginner like me

    AntwortenLöschen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...